WOMEN! ARCHITECTS! DESIGNERS!
Hi-VIS is an initiative open to all those who identify as women, and appreciate/understand/want to better understand/harness the latent agency and control that design (and the often dominant presence of able-bodied white middle class men within its constituent professions) brings to bear on our built environment. You do not need to have any design qualifications to join us in our work.
Following in the footsteps of a number of Feminist design co-operatives set up in the 1980s, such as the Women’s Design Service (WDS), and the Matrix Feminist Design Co-operative, our soft manifesto proposes the following…
Please join us in the ongoing act of formation of a collective with the primary aims of:
1. Creation and upkeep of a network of women. (across all levels of study, across all eras of design)
2. Changing/correcting the professions narrow definition of who & what an architect is/looks like/does etc- through numerous means.
3. Building buildings that work better for, and actively empower, women.
4. Helping others to do the latter better through disseminating research and design guides.
5. “Time together is sacred”- Be together in solidarity, listen to each other, define a new culture for architecture, build together.