- This event has passed.
Workshop: Intro to effective altruism and how to chose a cause
August 1, 2016 @ 7:45 pm - 10:00 pm BST
Effective altruism is a growing social movement founded on the desire to make the world as good a place as it can be, the use of evidence and reason to find out how to do so, and the audacity to actually try.
Over the last five years hundreds researchers from around the world have dedicated themselves to investigating this question of what are the most effective ways to do good. This introductory workshop will explore some of the research that has come out of this global effective altruism community.
We will begin to cover some of the difficult questions that need to be asked in order to have as large an impact as possible on improving the world, but are so often left aside, such as:
• How to choose a cause and pick your battles?
• How to compare disparate issues such as tackling climate change with improving education?
• Why the counterfactual impact of your actions are different than the apparent impact?
• How to measure the importance your career path?
• Why and how some charities can be thousands of times better than others and how to assess them?
• What resources are available to you to help you answer all of the above questions?